September 11, 2013

Just What The Doctor Ordered….Family Pictures By Jane Green

Filed under: Family Pictures — susanbright @ 10:06 pm

When it comes to reading, I have been in a major slump.  I have not picked up a book in weeks. Sure, I have been busy working, planning a trip and dealing with family matters, but it is still unlike me not to want to climb in bed with a book at night. Instead the television has been beckoning to me. Whether it is one of my favorite shows, Project Runway, Chopped or even a rerun of King of Queens, there always seems to be something good to watch. Something had to give!

So I gave myself permission not to read this month’s book club book (something I have never done before), and headed to the library for a kick-start. What better place to go for inspiration?  An audio book could be just the thing and there on the shelf of playaways was Jane Green’s newest book Family Pictures. “A riveting novel about two women whose lives intersect when a shocking secret is revealed”. That certainly sounded intriguing.

Family Pictures I inserted a triple A battery, which I always have in my car, plugged in my headphones and pushed play. Yes! it was just what I needed. A good old fashion chic Lit. Family Pictures may not be a 5 star book and may not win any awards, but it was just what the doctor ordered and I finished it in two days, reading while I cooked, as I drove around town and even took it to bed with me.  I think I may be ready to actually sit down and read a book now! Any suggestions?

Family Pictures by Jane Green – Reviews, Discussion Goodreads

1. Dangit forgot my password now I hope I write the same thing I did the first time! lol

Love an “easy” “relaxing” read! and Jane Green does that well….
    Spent the month of August (niece got married at the beginning and another at the end =mooch off the family for a month and enjoy the mountains) in Montana and read several Trixie Beldens and Black Beauty, which seemed appropriate for the return to my childhood state or state of mind, whichever you chose.

Now reading CJ Box, guess I am not ready to leave the west yet…….

Hello Susan 😉

Comment by Mona — September 12, 2013 @ 3:17 pm | Reply

• Hi Mona! Welcome back! I really enjoyed this “easy, relaxing” read and am planning to go to the library tomorrow and pick up another one. I have never read any of the Trixie Belden detective stories. Should I?

Comment by susanbright — September 12, 2013 @ 10:39 pm | Reply

• Trixie Belden is like Nancy Drew 😉 and I loved/love both!! It brought back the childhood memories of escaping from my pesky younger brothers by climbing high into my tree house to read read read!!

Comment by Mona — September 18, 2013 @ 12:36 pm | Reply

• Would you believe I never got into Nancy Drew? I guess it is never too late! Thanks!

Comment by susanbright — September 18, 2013 @ 8:48 pm | Reply

2. I’m watching Project Runway right now 🙂 Love it! And if I can’t find a rerun of Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory, I look for King of Queens. I think I’ve only finished 1 book in the last 3 weeks!

Comment by stacybuckeye — September 12, 2013 @ 10:27 pm | Reply

• Hi Stacy! It sounds like we have a lot in common. I too watched Project Runway this evening and loved the twist, with the two winners. You obviously are also a multi tasker, watching tv and blogging at the same time. This evening I was knitting and playing words with friends while watching the show. And Seinfeld is another one of my favorites. Maybe I have to give the Big Bang Theory a try!
      What do you plan to read next?

Comment by susanbright — September 12, 2013 @ 10:51 pm | Reply

• I’m reading The Husband’s Secret and listening to The Passage.
        I had to give up Words with Friends because even I cannot multitask enough to find the time for it!

Comment by stacybuckeye — September 13, 2013 @ 7:58 pm | Reply

• I am looking forward to reading The Husband’s Secret. I just started reading an advance copy of Andrew’s Brain by E.L.Doctorow. Very strange…I am anxious to see where it goes! Right now I am watching The White Queen and yes…I am playing Words with friends!

Comment by susanbright — September 15, 2013 @ 7:34 pm | Reply

3. I just finished American Dervish. Maybe living outside the States, I really enjoy these snapshots of time and culture. At any rate, I have loaned this to my daughter and husband – and I don’t “just” recommend any book!

Comment by hilary — September 16, 2013 @ 5:17 am | Reply

• Hi Hilary! We read American Dervish and gave it 4.2 omelets. A thought provoking book!

Comment by susanbright — September 16, 2013 @ 2:46 pm | Reply