January 3, 2013

What Is On Your 2013 “To Read” List?

Filed under: Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 10:59 pm
Tags:

I keep reading and reading, yet my “to read” list keeps growing. It seems like everyone has a book recommendation! Here are just a few of the books on my list:

11/22/63 by Stephen King…a very long book, but sounds so intriguing!

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman…Audrey says it is a 3 tissue book!

The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson…..Washington Post says it was one of the best books of 2012

Vaclav & Lena by Haley Tanner…my friend Sharon says it is wonderful

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver…just finished Delirium, now I have to read Pandemonium

Here is what is on some of our blogger’s lists:

City of Women by David R. Gillham
Mudbound by Hilary Jordan
Pursuit of Happiness by Douglas kennedy
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly
Killing Kennedy by Bill O’Reilly
Let’s Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Divergent by Veronica Roth

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Rules Are For Breaking by Imelda Evans

And The List Keeps Growing!

Defending Jacob by William Landay
Once We Were Brothers Ronald Balson
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
What Alice Forgot by Liana Moriarty
The Roots of the Olive Tree by Courtney Miller Santo

The Angel Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The L Shaped Room by Lynn Reid Banks

What is on your “To Read” list?

1. Susan,
    I agree. Here are just some of the books on my “to read” list!! My New Year’s Resolution is to read more than one book a month.
    City of Women by David R. Gillham
    Mudbound by Hilary Jordan
    Pursuit of Happiness by Douglas kennedy
    The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
    Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly
    Killing Kennedy by Bill O’Reilly
    Let’s Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Comment by audrey — January 3, 2013 @ 11:25 pm | Reply

• Hi Audrey! So many good books on your list. Mudbound and The Kitchen House were both excellent reads. City of Women is on my list also! Happy New Years!

Comment by susanbright — January 5, 2013 @ 9:11 pm | Reply

2. Currently, I’m reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.
    Next up; Divergent by Veronica Roth
    Then who knows .. keeping my options open. The Orphan Master’s Son from your list sounds interesting, though.
    Happy Reading 🙂

Comment by suddenlylostinwords — January 4, 2013 @ 6:38 am | Reply

• I really enjoyed Divergent. The only problem is that it too is a trilogy and you can’t just read just one! You are in for a fun ride! Thanks for visiting.

Comment by susanbright — January 5, 2013 @ 9:14 pm | Reply

3. The Fault in Our Stars
    Her Fearful Symmetry
    The Imperfectionists
    The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
    and 46 more to get to my goal of 50 books!
    Good luck with yours (I loved The Light Between Oceans!)

Comment by booksoutsidethebox — January 4, 2013 @ 11:58 am | Reply

• Her Fearful Symmetry and The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake were both pretty strange yet entertaining books! I am glad to hear you enjoyed The Light Between The Oceans…it is definitely on the top of my list. Happy New Years!

Comment by susanbright — January 5, 2013 @ 9:27 pm | Reply

4. “Rules Are For Breaking” by Imelda Evans e book

Comment by Resa McConaghy — January 5, 2013 @ 11:48 am | Reply

5. Defending Jacob by William Landay
    Once We Were Brothers Ronald Balson
    Still Alice by Lisa Genova
    What Alice Forgot by Liana Moriarty
    The Roots of the Olive Tree by Courtney Miller Santo

Comment by Macy — January 5, 2013 @ 9:49 pm | Reply

6. I didn’t have a set reading list until I read your post. Now thanks to you and some people who have commented I think I will try a couple of books from the list. At the moment I have The Angel Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and The L Shaped Room by Lynn Reid Banks (recommendation from my mum) but always open to new books to try.

Comment by kayleighmay — January 6, 2013 @ 3:59 am | Reply

7. Hello Resa, Macy and Kayleighmay!
    Rules for Breaking looks like a fun read!.
    Still Alice is an amazing book and It looks like Defending Jacob may be our pick for the best book we read in 2012.
    Our book club read and enjoyed Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. so I will definitely check out The Angel Game. Also The L Shaped Room. Thanks for sharing your lists with us!

Comment by Susanbright — January 6, 2013 @ 10:50 am | Reply

8. I seem to have the same problem with the ever-growing to-read pile! I loved the Delirium books. I can’t wait for the last one to come out. The Fault in Our Stars was awesome. I’m mostly trying to get through a huge stack of books I’ve bought or bookmooched over the last few years so I have too many on my list to post (since I’m going to try and read 200 this year…). Happy reading! I’m intrigued by that Stephen King book as well.

Comment by jncahill — January 6, 2013 @ 8:45 pm | Reply

• TOO HUNDRED BOOKS! That is quite a goal! Best of luck! What were some of your favorites from 2013? We are looking for a really good book for our April couples meeting. A book that both men and women will enjoy and one that is not too long so some of our spouses who are not as into reading as we are will be willing and anxious to read it. Any ideas?

Comment by Susanbright — January 7, 2013 @ 11:35 am | Reply

9. My list keeps growing too! I found a great used book store in Vero and tracked down a bunch of books on my Goodreads list only to discover that I had already bought a few of them. Hmmmm…I need a new scheme. I created a “bought” shelf so hopefully that will work better.

I have many of the books already mentioned. In addition, I have:
    Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada
    The Horse Boy by Rupert Issacson
    Stories I only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe (currently listening to this one read by the author–very interesting!)
    Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos Montalvan
    Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold (almost finished this one, very good)
    These is My Words by Nancy E Turner

Harriet

Comment by moondance38 — January 19, 2013 @ 11:10 am | Reply

• Hi Harriet! So many books that I have not heard of. I will have to check them out. I love the idea of a “bought” shelf. Especially since my daughter is a big reader and it is not unusual for us both to buy the same book..what a waste!

Comment by Susanbright — January 19, 2013 @ 4:02 pm | Reply