December 26, 2012

What Were Your Favorite Books For 2012? Please vote!

Filed under: Favorite Books,Polls — susanbright @ 7:08 pm
Tags:

The Friday Morning Bookclub has read some interesting books this year and now it is time to choose our favorites. This is a tough decision and we need your help. How do you even begin to compare a harrowing book about America’s first ambassador to Hitler’s Germany (In The Garden of the Beast) to a sci- fi dystopian novel which takes place in a futuristic Chicago (Divergent). How about The Story of Beautiful Girl and The Lost Wife? Both were heart wrenching stories yet that is where the similarities end.

We read several mysteries this year. Gone Girl, Defending Jacob and State of Wonder were all page turners, and Night Road had us reliving the days when our children were teenagers. Once again we read a book by local author Laura Lippman (And When She Was Good) and also one by Jeffrey Eugenides, the author of  Middlesex (The Marriage Plot). The Song of Achilles, a modern telling of The Iliad was very different from anything we had read before and we finished off the year with Faith a book based on the 2002 sexual abuse scandal that rocked the Catholic Church.

While it may be difficult to compare these books, we hope there may be a couple of books which really stand out in your mind. What two books did you most enjoy? Please vote!

You have TWO votes!

1. I would like to vote, but I haven’t read any of the books, but I wanted to stop by to see your list. Nice list…I do have AND WHEN SHE WAS GOOD on my shelf.

I will need to check out the books…they all sound good. I have heard of a few of them.

Looking forward to seeing the “winner.”

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My Blog

Comment by Elizabeth — December 26, 2012 @ 7:36 pm | Reply

• Hi Elizabeth. What are some of your favorites from 2012?

Comment by susanbright — December 26, 2012 @ 7:43 pm | Reply

• Hi:

Thanks for asking. I actually have a post with my list. 🙂

The post’s link is below. Hope you know some of them.

Have a great evening.

Elizabeth
        Silver’s Reviews
        My Favorite Books of 2012

Comment by Elizabeth — December 26, 2012 @ 7:46 pm | Reply

• Now that you mentioned it..I did see your list and I commented. The only book on your list I read was The Roots of the Olive Tree. I have put some of the others on my “to read” list, I enjoy visiting your blog.

Comment by susanbright — December 26, 2012 @ 8:12 pm | Reply

• THANK YOU….your blog is a good one I like to visit as well.

I am an e-mail follower so I don’t miss anything. 🙂

Comment by Elizabeth — December 26, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

2. Can you vote again on my sister’s blog if you don’t mind. I don’t think the vote went through. You have to press Vote two times. 🙂

You have to hit vote, then like her, then hit vote again. You can unlike her once your vote is recorded.

link: https://apps.facebook.com/easypromos-premium/voteme/11206/614505285?view=comments

THANKS.

Comment by Elizabeth — December 26, 2012 @ 8:14 pm | Reply

3. DIVERGENT forever!^^

Comment by mileventwelve — December 27, 2012 @ 1:45 am | Reply

• I too really enjoyed Divergent. I just started Delirium. Have you read it?

Comment by susanbright — December 27, 2012 @ 9:30 am | Reply

4. I’ve only read 1, so I can’t vote. Although I’m curious to know the winner. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year, Susan!

Comment by Resa McConaghy — December 27, 2012 @ 10:19 am | Reply

5. Thanks for sharing your favorite books of 2012 list. I am currently reading Gone Girl and had started and was really enjoying State of Wonder but then had to return it to the library before I finished (but now have it on my Kindle Fire). Your book list is now on my reading list – and I’ve added Elizabeth’s list as well. This year I am going to write down all the books I’ve enjoyed so I don’t forget them and will compile my favorites for 2013. Happy New Year to Susan, the book club members and all the wonderful pets who read!

Comment by abclauralife — December 30, 2012 @ 6:06 pm | Reply

• Hi Laura, Joining Goodreads is a great way to keep track of your books. Join and friend me! I look forward to blogging with you in 2013. Happy Healthy New Years to you and yours!

Comment by susanbright — December 30, 2012 @ 8:17 pm | Reply