December 3, 2012

What Are You Reading?

Filed under: Favorite Books,Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 9:31 pm

help

So everyone knows what I have been reading. How about telling me what you are reading! Do you have any recommendations? What was your favorite book for 2012? Yup..it is that time of year!

1. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, by Matthew Dicks. Told from the POV of the imaginary friend, it’s funny, thrilling and poignant – I couldn’t put it down.

Comment by Gabi Coatsworth — December 4, 2012 @ 7:12 am | Reply

2. Okay,I have 2 fav books this year .
    One is a book of poetry by Dean J. Baker titled “The Herald” Dean has a WordPress site. http://deanjbaker.wordpress.com/
    The other is a novel from 2001 by Joy Fielding .. “Grand Avenue” It took me years to get around to reading it, and it’s awesome!

Comment by Resa McConaghy — December 4, 2012 @ 3:10 pm | Reply

3. Just finished Stae of WOnder by Ann Patchett. Wonderful, full of adventure, interesting characters.

Comment by MJ — December 5, 2012 @ 4:49 pm | Reply

4. So many good recommendations! Thank you!
    Gabi, I had read about Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. Sounds like a interesting premise!
    Resa, I will definitely check out The Herald and Grand Avenue!
    MJ, Our book club read and enjoyed State of Wonder. Bel Canto is another good book by Ann Patchett.

Comment by Susanbright — December 5, 2012 @ 7:31 pm | Reply

5. I just got around to reading Divergent. Getting ready to read Insurgent. Super entertaining. Just want I needed.

Comment by Deb — December 5, 2012 @ 7:45 pm | Reply

6. My overall favorite this year is FAITH by Jennifer Haigh. I was totally engrossed with all the novel’s twists and turns to the background of the child sex abuse scandal in Boston’s Catholic Church.

Comment by Mary Ellen — December 8, 2012 @ 10:22 am | Reply

• Hi Mary Ellen! I am about half way through Faith and yes I too am totally engrossed in the story! It is hard to put down and I can’t wait to see where it goes!

Comment by susanbright — December 9, 2012 @ 2:06 pm | Reply

7. Right now I am reading Giants in the Earth, by the Norwegian author Ole Edvart Rolvaag. It’s a saga about a Norwegian immigrant family, braving the harsh elements in order to homestead in the South Dakota prairie during the late 1800’s. Pretty bleak stuff to be sure, but it gives a very clear image of the courage it took to venture out into that forbidding territory and make a home. I have to wonder though, why they didn’t head south to Florida???

Comment by Jean — December 8, 2012 @ 1:26 pm | Reply

• Hi Jean! Would you recommend Giants in the Earth? Just how bleak is it? Depressing, put you to sleep bleak?

Comment by susanbright — December 9, 2012 @ 4:04 pm | Reply

• Yes, I would recommend it with the understanding that it isn’t a light read. In Giants in the Earth there is tremendous tension between the husband and wife (main characters) because while the husband is optimistic about the possibilities for the future of their new homestead, the wife is homesick, depressed and fearful. The story picks up speed at about 2/3rds of the way through the book, a long way to wait for some action. I’d say it’s a very effective “mood” book. You can feel the wind coming off the plains! If you like this book, you will also like Independent People, by Haldor Laxness, about Iceland.

Comment by Jean — December 11, 2012 @ 6:22 pm | Reply

• Giants in the Earth is a classic – the best of all the immigrant books, and I highly recommend it. Mobergs Immigrant trilogy (or are there four books in the series?), is also very good.

Comment by Kathleen — December 9, 2012 @ 8:16 pm | Reply

• I forgot to add that the Scandinavians mostly went to Minnesota, North and South Dakota, etc. because the general environment was like their home lands, and that is where their New World friends and relatives were. The US government was giving 160 acres to homesteaders who could stay on the land and till it for something like 3 or 5 years. I’d have to look up the exact number of years.

Comment by Kathleen — December 9, 2012 @ 8:24 pm | Reply

8. An interesting read was State of Wonder. I enjoyed this book. Now, I am reading Dearie, the story of Julia Child. So far, it is a delightful book. The author makes every fact about Julia Child come alive with great details.

Comment by ilene gold — December 9, 2012 @ 8:16 pm | Reply

9. The best books I’ve read this year:
    – The Samurai’s Garden by Gail Tsukiyama
    – The Beginner’s Goodbye by Anne Tyler
    – The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
    – The Ha-Ha by Dave King
    I might add The Cove by Ron Rash, but since I recently read it, I’ll have to think some more before it goes on my best list.

Comment by Kathleen — December 9, 2012 @ 8:20 pm | Reply

• Thank you Kathleen and Ilene! So many wonderful books. The Samurai’s Garden was one of the first books The Friday Morning Bookclub read. Although I remember little about the book, I will never forget the title because one of our members accidently read The Last Samurai. We did not figure out that we were talking about two different books until we were halfway through the meeting.

We also read State of Wonder, a book that has been brought up as one of their favorites by more than one person!
      I read and really enjoyed The language of Flowers. I will have to check the others out, including Giants in the Earth. You have peaked my interest. Thank you!

Comment by susanbright — December 9, 2012 @ 9:34 pm | Reply

10. I’m almost finished The Cellist of Sarajevo. It’s heart rendering. My favorite books of 1012 are Faith and Once we were Brothers. Ruth

Comment by ruth — December 10, 2012 @ 10:36 am | Reply