August 20, 2012

Where Has The Summer Gone?

Filed under: Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 2:56 pm

The weeks are flying by Where did the summer go? My friends are taking their teen age children back to school and the stores are full of fall clothing! I haven’t posted anything on the blog for more than a week (the first time that has happened) and I have probably read about half the number of books I normally read during the summer. Somehow life just gets in the way. Especially work! I have read a couple of interesting books recently, but just haven’t had the time to sit down and write about them.  Bear with me! Coming really soon… my review of The Song of Achilles and Still Alice…..If I can remember the book! Just kidding!

Have you read any good books this summer that you would like to tell us about?

So, hear is what we have so far:

A Marriage Made in Mayfair by Tamara Gill

The Herald by Dean J Baker ( a book of poems)….could be interesting!

The Tiger Wife by Tea Obrecht

Paranormalcy by Kristen White (YA)

Daughter of Smoke and Bones by Laini Taylor (YA)

By The Time You Read This I’ll Be Dead by Julie Ann Peters (YA)

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (YA)

Bared To You by Sylvia Day ( The next 50 Shades?)

What books would you like to add to the list?

1. I read an e-book Romance Novel that I liked a lot. It’s titled A Marriage Made in Mayfair by Tamara Gill. http://www.tamaragillromanceauthor.com/
    I read a book of poems by Dean J. Baker titled The Herald. I even wrote a review on it. http://deanjbaker.wordpress.com/great-reviews-for-the-herald/

Comment by Resa McConaghy — August 20, 2012 @ 5:03 pm | Reply

• Hi Resa. We have never read a book of poems. That could be interesting! A Marriage Made in Mayfair looks good too! Thanks for the recommendations!

Comment by susanbright — August 20, 2012 @ 7:51 pm | Reply

2. I’m currently reading The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obrecht. I’m enjoying it very much, even though the woman who sold it too me was less than enthusiastic. It’s unusual and very well written. Debut novel, too.

Comment by Gabi Coatsworth — August 21, 2012 @ 7:11 am | Reply

• Hi Gabi, The title The Tigers Wife keeps popping up although I know little about it. I will check it out. Thanks for your recommendation!

Comment by susanbright — August 21, 2012 @ 2:40 pm | Reply

3. My favorites for the summer were Paranormalcy by Kristen White, Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, By the Time You Read This, I’ll be Dead by Julie Anne Peters, and Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King. All are young-adult.

I would like to read Still Alice though.

Comment by jncahill — August 21, 2012 @ 9:39 am | Reply

• Hi Jncahill, I just looked up Paranormalcy and Daughter of Smoke. I have to say, I like these paranormal, fantasy books… vampires, warewolves, shape changers. Definitely entertaining! I just started Whisper Cape, after receiving a signed copy in the mail As for Still Alice, I thought it was a wonderful book. I put off reading it for a long time thinking it was going to be upsetting and it was! Excellent book, though!

Comment by susanbright — August 21, 2012 @ 3:08 pm | Reply

4. I just read Bared to You by Sylvia Day. It is the next Fifty Shades.

Comment by JJ — August 22, 2012 @ 8:47 pm | Reply

5. Hi JJ. That is the first time I heard of Bare To You but I see it is on the New York Times Best Seller list. I guess we will be hearing more about it in the future. Thanks for blogging with us!

Comment by susanbright — August 22, 2012 @ 8:51 pm | Reply

6. This summer our book group read THE COWARD’S TALE (fiction) by Vanessa Gebbie and PRAGUE WINTER (nonfiction) by Madeleine Albright. I would recommend both selections.

Comment by Mary Ellen — September 4, 2012 @ 11:12 am | Reply

7. Hi Mary Ellen! Thanks for the recommendations. We have not chosen our books for the year so this is very helpful. Did you read Still Alice?

Comment by Susanbright — September 4, 2012 @ 11:36 am | Reply