April 11, 2012

Rate The Book: In The Garden Of The Beasts By Erik Larson

Help us rate this month’s book! All votes and comments are welcomed!

1. Interesting book, but too much historical facts for me. It was tough to get through.

Comment by Anna — April 12, 2012 @ 12:01 pm | Reply

2. I am a history man. In The Garden of the Beasts was a riveting book.

Comment by Lenny — April 13, 2012 @ 8:16 am | Reply

• Welcome Lenny! I am not really a history gal so this book was a bit of a struggle for me. I have to admit that I did a bit of skimming!

Comment by Susanbright — April 14, 2012 @ 8:29 am | Reply

3. I am a history guy. There were facts, opinions and general gestalt that were new to me about this time. That was great. There were other aspects of the book that were somewhat superficial. The “hero” wasn’t so heroic. Certainly not at the begining when he was a bit of a pompous ass. Later he proved himself true to his core beliefs. While this did not make him a better diplomat, it did make him a better person. His favorite daughter certainly was the favorite of many. Always good to have a love interest in a story. Though, some of her “friends” come off MUCH nicer in this book than history might otherwise recall. Very few historical publications paint the Gestapo as the “good guy”. Overall, happy to have read the book. Might have been better with a few tweaks which this book club could have advised him on, if only we had been asked!!

Comment by David — April 17, 2012 @ 7:35 pm | Reply

• Welcome David! Although this was not my kind of book, I too learned quite a bit by reading it. Thanks for your insightful comment!

Comment by susanbright — April 17, 2012 @ 8:16 pm | Reply

4. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and decidedly liked the book more after our discussion. I would just like to add one additional thought. It appears that Ambassador Dodd was too much of a gentleman for the political arena and was therefore viewed as totally ineffective in his endeavors. Perhaps we should revisit the type of personality that has actually proven to be effective in dealing in foreign policy. I seem to remember a president by the name of Richard Nixon who was lauded for such skills. He was the best. So what if he was known as “Tricky Dick” and was forced to resign to escape impending impeachment due to his illegal, dishonest ways. After all, you can’t have everything!

Comment by Dana Steiner — April 17, 2012 @ 8:47 pm | Reply

• Hi Dana, Definitely something to think about. Perhaps if he was an actor like another President we all know, he could have put on a better show!

Comment by susanbright — April 18, 2012 @ 9:19 am | Reply