March 17, 2012

I Did It!

Filed under: Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 11:34 am
Tags: ,

Yes, I downloaded a book from the library. Actually I have now downloaded several books from the library. This may not sound like a big deal to you, but it was a monumental feat for me! It was not accomplished without a lot of frustration as well as several online chats with one of the many helpful kindle support team members. My problem? I was trying to download the book onto my mother’s kindle which according to the expert who finally figured out my problem, is a second generation kindle and therefore does not have WiFi. It took me a while to get this… I never said that I was smart when it came to technology! I assumed that since I could download books on it from any location, that I had WiFi! Wrong! I actually had to transfer the book by connecting the kindle to my computer and then downloading the book from my Kindle account. It worked and my mother is happily reading the second book in the Twilight Series…. free! Now that I know what I am doing it is a cinch! It is a good thing because she is a fast reader.

Fortunately to download books to my Kindle Touch, it is even easier. It actually does have WiFi. This is great! The only problem is that there could be a waiting list for the book, so if you are on a deadline be sure to give yourself plenty of time. If you are open as to what you want to read there are many books available for immediate download.

Have you ever downloaded a book from the public library? It is quick, easy to do and free! Why not give it a try?

1. Thank you for the tip. I am going to give this a try. I love my kindle but downloading books can get very expensive.

Comment by Angie — March 17, 2012 @ 10:13 pm | Reply

2. I discovered downloading from the library in September and I haven’t looked back. Our St Croix library doesn’t offer it but I also have an out of state library card from Jacksonville, FL (we travel back and forth a lot and I MUST have books) and they have a great ebooks lending area that just keeps on growing so I feel my out of state fee is definitely worth the price!!
    The library was always my source for new/untried authors as I felt I had nothing to lose by not finishing a book from the library that I wasn’t enjoying since I hadn’t “paid” for it. Yes – you do have to download to your computer and then transfer to your Kindle but it really doesn’t take that long and I an now back to reading new authors, sometimes getting my bookclub books and feeling “free” to read as much as I want.
    I also download the audio books to my Iphone 😉
    Also, I do subscribe to the “daily deals” from Amazon so have tried new authors that way too.
    What can I say – I love books and techie stuff!!

Comment by Mona — March 18, 2012 @ 9:56 am | Reply

3. Ohhh, so that’s why I could never download to my older Kindle! I couldn’t figure it out so just read on the iPad or my husband’s newer Kindle. I like borrowing e-books from the library!

Comment by moondance38 — March 19, 2012 @ 2:08 pm | Reply

4. Hi Angie, Mona and Moondance! So nice to hear from all of you. It really is easy to download books from the library once you figure out what you are doing. I too subscribe to Amazon’s daily deals… that is how I got myself involved in the Twilight series. I am embarrassed to tell you how much I am enjoying these books! Me, my 15 year old niece and my 80 some year old mother! Read anything really good lately?

Comment by susanbright — March 19, 2012 @ 2:56 pm | Reply

• Reading some of my kindle “daily deals” right now as that category was getting too big and I could just imagine the books piled up on my table waiting for me!!! So I finished Tamar (WW2 Holland resistance group saga) and just started reading Vaccine Nation.
      We are doing Remarkable Creatures for April book club and a Hemingway for fun (we did The Paris Wife in March and were all wanting to read Hemingway! lol).

Comment by Mona — March 20, 2012 @ 8:57 am | Reply

• oops forgot to mention that I too read the Twilight series but that is Sarah’s fault as she lent me the first one……….and of course I had to read them all….

Comment by Mona — March 20, 2012 @ 8:58 am | Reply

5. Mona, I can’t wait to finish this month’s book club book so I can read the last book in the Twilight series. Is anyone you know reading Shades of Grey? I hear it is an “adult Twilight”. Tell Sarah to check that one out!

Comment by susanbright — March 21, 2012 @ 5:01 pm | Reply

• the Shades of Grey book was discussed at the last book club meeting and we are all thinking it sounds like a great summer read!!

Comment by Mona — March 21, 2012 @ 9:26 pm | Reply