December 31, 2011

Audio Books: How Important Is The Narrator?

Filed under: Audio books — susanbright @ 11:18 am
Tags: ,

I love listening to audio books, but every once in a while I find one that I cannot get into. Recently I was listening to an audio book and realized that the reason it wasn’t working for me was that I found the narrator’s voice extremely monotonous. I thought back to another audio book in which I felt the same way and would you believe that when I did a little bit of research, I discovered that they were both read by the same person. I could not stand her voice!  It seemed to just drone on ..blah, blah, blah! For the record this particular narrator received rave reviews, so I guess it’s just me. Would I have felt differently had I read the book as opposed to listen to it?

How important a part do you think the narrator plays in how much you enjoy an audio book?

1. Scott Brick is one of my favorite readers….I really liked a book once and discovered he was the reader and now I actually look for the books he has done.

Comment by Betty Jo Harris — December 31, 2011 @ 12:10 pm | Reply

2. Susan, I feel the same way you do. I too have been listening to a lot of audio books lately… and the narrator makes a huge difference. I have also wondered how much I would have liked a book, if I had read it instead of listened to it. Some books I definitely think, the audio version drew me in more than I would have been, if I had read it. No matter, I seem to be totally hooked to audio books. I spend a lot of time in the car and it makes my errands and numerous car pools, a much more pleasant experience.

Comment by janinefrier — December 31, 2011 @ 12:16 pm | Reply

3. Oh definitely has an effect on whether or not you like the book. I would hate a monotonous voice.

BTW, does anyone know how to get “free” copies of audiobooks to listen to?

THANKS.

Happy New Year!!

Elizabeth

Comment by Elizabeth — December 31, 2011 @ 1:58 pm | Reply

4. Hate to admit it but I like a man’s voice. Happy New Year Susan. I love your blog. Cathy

Comment by Cathy Junkin — December 31, 2011 @ 3:46 pm | Reply

5. Betty Jo, what are the titles of some of the audio books read by Scott Brick? I am just beginning to take notice of the narrators names.

Cathy, I am glad you are enjoying our blog!I can understand enjoying a man’s voice. I prefer a male voice on my GPS!

Elizabeth, Although I receive quite a few books, I rarely see opportunities to win audio books. Our book club won 16 copies of The American Heiress from Macmillan audio/ Reading Group choices.

Comment by susanbright — December 31, 2011 @ 4:31 pm | Reply

• Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper….made me laugh out loud.

Comment by Betty Jo Harris — December 31, 2011 @ 11:49 pm | Reply

6. I think the narrator is very important. I enjoy listening to books, since it makes them came alive…if you have the right reader. One narrator I love is Jim Dale who reads the Harry Potter books. You can actually tell the different characters. Other books have an accent that makes the story even better with the correct narrator. Happy Reading & Happy New Year!

Comment by Caroline — January 1, 2012 @ 7:13 pm | Reply