December 7, 2011

Readers’ Choice: Best Books of 2011

Filed under: Book Recomendations,What is next?? — susanbright @ 3:23 pm
Tags:

The only book I have read on the list of top 10 books is The Language of Flowers. We are scheduled to read The Marriage Plot in February and State of Wonder in March. Which other books should we read?

1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
2. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
3. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
4. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
5. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
6. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny
8. 11/22/63 by Stephen King
9. Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
10. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

For the complete list:

1. Hi Susan! Will have to look up most of them but Stephen King’s 11/22/63 is on my list!!
    yes it is Mona – Sarah’s friend from STX 🙂

Comment by Mona — December 7, 2011 @ 3:31 pm | Reply

• Hi Mona! We miss hearing from you. I too would like to read 11/22/63. Sounds fascinating! I agree with Jean. It could be a good choice for our April meeting, when we invite the men to read along with us.

Comment by susanbright — December 7, 2011 @ 8:59 pm | Reply

2. I thought In the Garden of Beasts was great and nice to have a non-fiction in the mix.

Comment by Betty Jo Harris — December 7, 2011 @ 4:15 pm | Reply

3. I just bought In the Garden of beasts for myself because I loved the Devil in the White City. I think 11/22/63 would be a good book for our “spouses” meeting.

Comment by Jean — December 7, 2011 @ 7:51 pm | Reply

4. Our book club discussed The Discovery of Witches. Instead of the usual questions, we placed an item from the book in a brown bag with three questions. There were about 15 bags and each member picked a bag and answered the question. For example, a wine cork: 1- Who does this represent? 2- Why do vampires have such a large wine collection dating back to ancient times? 3- What is your favorite wine?
    For example, a house key: 1- What does this represent? (magical house) 2- What did the house “do” before company arrived? (builit another room) 3- What do you wish YOUR house could do?
    It was an animated discussion. We even got input from the author herself via facebook ! She suggested chocolate chip cookies! Other suggestions may be chalk, the missing book, a magic wand, spices…
    Have one person do this, or a team or each member bring a bag! Have fun and enjoy!

Comment by Cristine K. — January 9, 2012 @ 11:07 am | Reply

• Hi Cristine. What a clever idea. It is fun to do something different once in a while. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion. In April we invite the husbands to our meeting and I happened to mention to one of them that I thought it could be fun to read The Hunger Games and come dressed up as one of the characters. I got shot down real quick!

Comment by susanbright — January 9, 2012 @ 1:57 pm | Reply

• Did you get shot down because of the “husband” or the “dress-up” suggestion part? LOL

Comment by Cristine K. — January 9, 2012 @ 2:16 pm | Reply