August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene: No Electricity! No Water! No Phones! No TV!…… Day 2

Filed under: Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 12:56 pm

I am sitting in Starbucks, sipping an iced coffee and checking my emails. I am  feeling great. First of all I must have gotten at least 10 hours of sleep. After all, without electricity what else is there to do once it gets dark! I read by flashlight for a while, finished The Hangman’s Daughter and then went to bed. Fortunately it was a cool last night so with the windows open it was very conducive to sleep. I woke up at 8:45 feeling totally rested and went to the gym, not  because I felt like exercising, but I really wanted to take a shower! I am not planning to do any cooking until we have power so I guess I will be going out to dinner again tonight and then settling in with my flash light and a book. Life is pretty good!

Do you have electricity? How do you spend your evenings?

1. We were lucky through this storm, and never lost electricity. I did have a full house this weekend, as my children were evacuated from their home on the Jersey Shore, and arrived Friday night, lock, stock, baby and cat! I’m sorry for those of you who are without power, or who sustained damage from the storm! Just thankful that Irene was not as horrible as she could have been. After last week’s earthquake, and then the hurricane, I’m wondering what Mother Nature has in store for us this winter. That old line from the TV commercial keeps running through my mind: “It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature!”……….

Comment by Esther — August 29, 2011 @ 6:30 pm | Reply

2. We were without power and telephone for almost three days. Since our power was restored this afternoon, it’s glorious now to be able to take a hot bath, watch TV, cook,and go on the computer. Our entire house including the septic pump is electric. We feel very fortunate compared to neighbors who had six inches of water in the basement or major tree damage. I just started reading Caroline Leavitt’s PICTURES OF YOU. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope you get your electric back soon.

Comment by Mary Ellen — August 30, 2011 @ 7:36 pm | Reply

• I really enjoyed Pictures of You. Once I started reading it, I couldn’t put it down.

Comment by Esther — August 31, 2011 @ 3:09 pm | Reply

3. Hi Mary Ellen, We now have electricity! It is so nice to be able to flip on a light switch and flush a toilet. You are right, it could have been so much worse. I met Caroline Leavitt. She was charming and actually grew up close to where I live. Let me know what you think of Pictures of You.

Comment by susanbright — August 30, 2011 @ 9:48 pm | Reply

4. Hey! Thank you so much for discussing my novel Pictures of You! I am so honored!

Caroline

Comment by www.carolineleavitt.com — September 10, 2011 @ 2:21 pm | Reply

5. Hi Caroline, I have recommended Pictures of You to numerous people and everyone who has read it, loved it. I am still hoping that one day you will be in town and will join us for one of our meetings! Tell us about some of your other books!

Comment by susanbright — September 10, 2011 @ 2:35 pm | Reply