August 15, 2011

The Help Controversy! Please Vote!

Filed under: Books Into Movies,Polls,The Help — susanbright @ 5:33 pm

This poll is closed! Thank you for voting!

If you haven’t read it yet, get The Help now!

1. It figures that you would delete my comments… I would love to know how many comment you have deleted that didn’t promote the book… didn’t expose or question truth… or contribute in some way to your further compensation.

Sleep well…. cop out.

Comment by brenna — August 16, 2011 @ 11:28 pm | Reply

• Brenna, I did not delete your message. Everytime a new person comments it comes to me as an email to approve.The fact of the matter is that I just woke up and read your message. I have yet to “delete” a message. I reserve that right to very offensive comments that should not be posted in any public arena.I appreciate hearing your point of view and find it very thought provoking. Don’t be so quick to jump to conclusions!

Comment by susanbright — August 17, 2011 @ 9:28 am | Reply

2. Holy cow. Of course someone is going to jump up and say, “That’s me!! I’m offended!!! Now give me lots of money…” of course.If she already stated who she based the character on, and it’s not her, where is there a case?

Comment by Ty Morgan — August 18, 2011 @ 1:05 am | Reply

• I Think that she should win the law suit because after seeing the movie
      and seeing Ms. Cooper’s face and her looks, I think there is a very good
      look a like that played the part of aibleen looks just like Ms. Cooper.
      The movie was based on the black maids in the sixties and Aibleen did do an interveiw
      with the white girl.

Comment by Anita — August 22, 2011 @ 12:38 pm | Reply

3. This is a great book about life! How many people are willing to stand up for what is right? Most people just go along with whoever becomes the leader of the group. That’s why bullies run a school! No one wants to be the target.
    Great Book!

Comment by C. Fowler — August 21, 2011 @ 9:24 pm | Reply

4. Really…I would like to see how this turns out. IMO, she is trying to get some money from the seller. She will get it just by saying the white women is mistreating the black women; she is taken advantage of me. C’mon, the story is the same, just like the rest of the stories, please tell me how this is different? The first black women that can cry, will. It is just how I see the world when it comes to these kind of issues. Tell me I am wrong!!!

Comment by christine hill — August 22, 2011 @ 2:06 am | Reply

5. I thought it was a beautiful movie..Why do people seem to throw around the word “sue” so often..I think it is about the money..If the movie had been a flop, we would not here from this woman..There probably are a milliion Abelenes out there and they all have a story to tell..Good and not so good..I use to go with my grandmother to help clean houses and it wasn’t always a pick nick but she made the best of it…

Comment by A. Pettyjohnwest — August 22, 2011 @ 9:38 am | Reply

6. I think Abilene is a hero! I love her character and blush with shame that ‘we’ would treat anyone as she was treated. IF the part was based on Ablene then I think she would be proud…but then I do not understand how deeply segregation and predjudice scars.

Comment by Carrie DeSalvo — August 22, 2011 @ 9:54 am | Reply

7. Why didn’t this person do this litigation when the book was first out? This woman is only 60 years old how could she have been a nanny or a maid at her age probably about 11 or 12. Though the movie did portray a young quitting school to go to work as a maid to support the family. I think this suit is unmerited.

Comment by Sunshine — August 22, 2011 @ 10:04 am | Reply

8. I wouldn’t call this movie a work of fiction because it has its truths of what took place back in the era of the 60’s. I think it is a generic story of all maids that worked in the south for low, low wages. I think this suit against the writer is unmerited. The only part of the movie that bothered me wrongly is when one of the maids were inherited in a Will to another family member as though she was a piece of property and at the same time I know this could have happened, slavery in the mentality of white people was still embedded in them. My thought after the movie was the black woman should get a bit more respect today after seeing how they were treated in times past.

Comment by Sunshine — August 22, 2011 @ 10:17 am | Reply

9. It’s silly to think someone her age alive now would complain of being the character in 1960’s … we gather images and the words around us all the time. Just because the author used a variation on her name it has to be her??? silly thing.

Comment by Babs — August 22, 2011 @ 10:44 am | Reply

10. Imagine someone using your name in their story, based you as the character and what makes it worst… it’s historically Incorrect. The Author of The Help is highly destroying a persons good name as an African american woman and for all African american women worldwide.

Comment by Mr. Quinton Veal

Comment by blackknight8 — August 22, 2011 @ 10:55 am | Reply

11. Given the plaintiff’s age, it is highly unlikely that the 50+ year-old Aibiline character in this book represents her. I’m sure there are many “real-life” women who worked as maids in Jackson, MS during that time who share the names of the fictional characters in this book – names like Minnie, Constantine, Betty, etc. The author was born in 1969, so if this woman worked as a nanny for a sibling of hers during the early 1960’s, it would have to be a much older sibling and the woman would have been a very young teenager. These facts make it appear that this lawsuit is likely without merit.

Comment by valentine — August 22, 2011 @ 11:20 am | Reply

12. Seeing the movie and if this woman was part of how they portraid them as being treated she deserves more than 75.000

Comment by Nanny — August 22, 2011 @ 11:36 am | Reply

13. If Abeleen is 60 years old today, then she would have been about 10 years old and too young to be a maid ! so much for the law suit

Comment by Peg lamb — August 22, 2011 @ 12:05 pm | Reply

14. First, I am white and live in the North. I loved the book-couldn’t put it down–and the movie did well in bringing it to the screen. The story took place while I was in my early 30s and at that time I had no idea how bad it was and had been for years for black women in the South. I am horrified! Abelene is my hero along with Minnie and the other maids who had the guts to tell their story.Strong women all! I would be honored to think Abelene was based on me and so would my late mother another strong willed and religious woman named Abeline.

Comment by Lilgen — August 22, 2011 @ 12:47 pm | Reply

• I am 45 years old and we growing up in Charlotte we had a black maid that cared for the seven of the white children that my father had. The movie brought fond memories of Ms. Bernice she took very good care of us until my mother decided to fire her in a fit of anger, she accused Ms. Bernice of drinking her best alcohol.. Wherever you are Miss, I am so very sorry for your pain that my mother caused. I loved the book and the movie was icing on the cake!

Comment by Shauna Jones — August 22, 2011 @ 1:23 pm | Reply

15. Every character in a book of “fiction” is based on the characteristics of people the author has met in her or his life. One character can be made up of dozens of people. I loved this book a great story

Comment by Leith — September 12, 2011 @ 6:26 pm | Reply