August 5, 2011

Do You Belong To A Book Club?

Filed under: Polls — susanbright @ 8:10 pm

This is an on- going poll. Please vote! We would love to get to know more about our blogger friends!

1. Yes I belong to a group called The Bookies….we all teach together….they actually read the books…awesome group.

Comment by Betty Jo Harris — August 5, 2011 @ 10:42 pm | Reply

2. Not at this time. I haven’t found one that I’m comfortable with.

Comment by Karen — August 6, 2011 @ 6:42 am | Reply

• Hi Karen, That is why I started my own book club over 10 years ago. I picked a day and time that worked for me and then invited people to join.Our group has evolved over the years, but has never been better.

Comment by susanbright — August 6, 2011 @ 9:51 am | Reply

3. Yes, for ten years in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Comment by Mary Ellen — August 6, 2011 @ 8:31 am | Reply

4. Not anymore. Our club fizzled out about 5 yrs ago. Just finished Beneath a marble sky by John Shors. Really enjoyed it. The book took place in India in the 1600’s. A facinating tale of love, war, and destiny.

Comment by M J — August 7, 2011 @ 4:48 pm | Reply

• Hi MJ! So nice to hear from you. I also loved beneath a Marble Sky. I love a good historical fiction. Did you read The Linnet Bird? If not, I think that you would really enjoy it.

Comment by susanbright — August 7, 2011 @ 4:58 pm | Reply

5. I am in two book groups. One is with my neighbors .The women on my street are all different ages,40-85 years old .The other group started by a friend of mine and has been together since 2003.They are different and both very fun to be part of. Cathy

Comment by cathy Junkin — August 7, 2011 @ 9:38 pm | Reply

6. Definitely belong…I actually belong to three book clubs. 🙂 Keeps me busy and out of trouble. LOL!!!

One is a work book club made up of teachers, one is a group of friends of all ages and interests, and the third is a library-related book club that has women over 40.

I also have a blog where I post all my reviews…stop by if you like.

Elizabeth

Blog: http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Comment by Elizabeth — August 13, 2011 @ 8:35 pm | Reply

7. Welcome Elizabeth! Wow, three book clubs and a blog! You must do an awful lot of reading. I will definitely check out your blog. Do you have a book that you would like to recommend?

Comment by susanbright — August 13, 2011 @ 11:07 pm | Reply

8. Hi Susanbright:

Oh…do I have books to recommend. I sure do. 🙂

Look at my Archive on my blog, but some of the ones I really liked that I read this year and even last year are:

Next to Love
    The Language of Flowers
    Silver Girl
    Born Under a Lucky Moon
    Mudbound
    Cutting for Stone
    Georgia Bottoms
    The Weird Sisters
    Solomon’s Oak

My all-time favorite book is: Shadow of the Wind

I also really like: The Forgotten Garden, The Tenth Gift, and The Thirteenth Tale

Please stop by and check out my blog….the Archive will be the best place to look for books I have read, and there are reviews as well.

THANKS for your interest. BTW, I work full-time, but am a teacher so I have time in the summer to read a lot. 🙂

Hope you can visit my blog.

Elizabeth

Comment by Elizabeth — August 13, 2011 @ 11:43 pm | Reply

• I also really loved Shadow in the Wind.

Comment by Caroline — August 14, 2011 @ 7:08 pm | Reply

• Welcome Caroline! The Friday Morning Bookclub read Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for one of our couples meeting, the one time of the year that we invite to come our significant others to come to our meeting. We had a wonderful discussion and it was well liked by both the men and the women.

Comment by susanbright — August 14, 2011 @ 7:51 pm | Reply

9. No, but I wish I was in a book club. For now I just have clubs on Goodreads.

Comment by Caroline — August 14, 2011 @ 7:09 pm | Reply

10. Oh my goodness…Shadow of the Wind is one of my all-time favorite books. I “had” to go to Barcelona after reading it. Barcelona is beautiful. We found all the places in the book and also we found Nuria’s courtyard and house. I loved it.

Comment by Elizabeth — August 14, 2011 @ 8:34 pm | Reply

11. I used to belong to a bookclub but got busy and dropped out. This blog makes me want to start a bookclub. Any advice on how to start and stick with it?

Comment by Donna — August 22, 2011 @ 9:31 pm | Reply

• Hi Donna! Ten years ago I decided that I wanted to start a bookclub. I chose a time that worked for me and started inviting people to join. I was amazed at home many people were interested. I think it is important to stay organized,choose books in advance and meet on a regular basis. The internet has made it so easy to communicate with your members.Keep it interesting by reading a variety of books and food always helps! Does anyone have any words of wisdom for Donna?

Comment by susanbright — August 23, 2011 @ 5:40 pm | Reply

• Hi Donna:

Try getting folks at work to start a book club or neighbors. You can be the leader.

Get a few folks together and then the word will spread.

Let us know how it goes.

Elizabeth