June 14, 2011

Summer Reads

Filed under: Book Discussions,Book Recomendations — susanbright @ 4:03 pm

Summer is a great time to catch up on you reading, whether you are lying around the pool or sitting in your nice air-conditioned house. I just started reading The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Wait Clayton. I heard Meg speak at the Gaithersburg Book Fair last month and she  was charming. The Wednesday Sisters  is about a group of  young women who meet while watching their children play in the neighborhood play ground and decide to form a writing club, The Wednesday Sisters Writing Society.  I have alway wanted to try writing a book , perhaps this book will give me the little push that I need!   What are you reading this summer? Is there a really good book that you would like to recommend?

1. Ok, you asked……….the last really good book I read was “Gator A Go-Go” by Tim Dorsey but in order to love these bizarre characters (and their morality) you have to read all the Serge A. Storm books, starting with “Florida Roadkill” – and I’ll admit these books aren’t for everyone but to me, they’re laugh out loud and gasp with horror all at once. Another good one I just finished is “All Mortal Flesh” by Julia Spencer-Fleming – good mystery/murder and the Reverend stuff doesn’t get in the way. That was my first and I’ll definitely read more from her. On the other hand, I downloaded a Kindle freebie “Invisible” by Lorena McCourtney and couldn’t stomach all the religious BS and it was so poorly written that I didn’t make it past page 10 (and for me, that’s unusual). To show the full range of idiocy I read, how about “Undead and Unwed” by Janice Davidson – pretty bad but I got through it and decided I wouldn’t bother with any more of them as our heroine is just a weeeeeeee bit dumb (and not even a blond). Now I’m reading “Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin” (another Kindle freebie) and it’s not bad – some of the language is obscure but his pithy insights into human nature are worth it. Another fairly bad Kindle freebie is “Bubba and the Dead Woman” by C.L. Bevill – tolerable but there was something about the forced good ole boy fake Southern language that turned me off (and Bubba was truly clueless even though he was our hero). For another not so bright heroine, I’m reading the Stephanie Plum series by Evanovich – they’re only ok but I do like some of the characters (like the gun-toting grandmother). After Ben Franklin I’ll read another Doc Ford, “Dark Light” by Randy Wayne White – a smart geeky hero with special forces skills, always action packed and the heroes are older. I could use a good Christopher Moore and there’s no sign that he’s writing right now…………I’ve read them all and they’re fabulous (even my least favorite “Lamb” was good).

Comment by bisquick1 — June 15, 2011 @ 10:35 am | Reply

• Welcome Bisquick! You sure have been doing a lot of reading and quite a variety too! I am going to check out the Serge Storm books. I have read s couple of the Stephanie Plum series and have found them entertaining. Good beach books!.As for downloading any more “freebies” I am holding off as I have a whole stack of books I have accumulated just waiting to be read!

Comment by susanbright — June 15, 2011 @ 2:04 pm | Reply

2. Hi Susan, My book club is reading The Three Weissmans of Westport by Cathleen Schine.It is supposed to be a good summer read.Cathy

Comment by cathy Junkin — June 16, 2011 @ 6:04 am | Reply

3. Hi Susan-
    For anyone who loves Maine, two “summer reads” I would recommend are THE HOUSE ON OYSTER CREEK by Heidi Jon Schmidt and POCKETFUL OF NAMES by Joe Coomer. For summer selections, our book group chose OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon (only one of us had ever read from the series) and MAO’S LAST DANCE by Li Cunxin. THE THREE WEISSMANNS OF WESTPORT is our list for the fall.

Comment by Mary Ellen — June 16, 2011 @ 11:40 am | Reply

• Thank you Cathy and Mary Ellen! It looks like we should put The Three Weissmanns on our list too! I will check out the other titles. Do you ever listen to audio books?

Comment by susanbright — June 16, 2011 @ 2:44 pm | Reply

4. i highly recc. (5 omletes)the book, left neglected, by the author of still alice. the author writes beautifully and is able to bring the reader into the life and cognitive and physical difficulties the main character faces. i couldn’t put it down. dkw218@juno.com

Comment by debbie waranch — June 17, 2011 @ 12:05 am | Reply

• Welcome Debbie! . I have not read Still Alice or Left Neglected. I was afraid that they might hit “too close to home” and be difficult to read. Guess I should give them a try. Thanks for your recommendation and for blogging with us!

Comment by susanbright — June 17, 2011 @ 9:41 am | Reply

5. I listened to Still Alice as an audio book . I didn’t want to read it either. It was a short audio book. Cathy

Comment by cathy Junkin — June 18, 2011 @ 6:17 am | Reply