March 30, 2011

This Month’s Book: Unbroken

Filed under: Unbroken — susanbright @ 9:49 am

Well, I am about to start reading Unbroken and I am more than a little hesitant! Why, because my husband who just finished the book and probably knows me better than anyone else in this world tells me “this is not your kind of book and you are going to hate it!” How can this be, after all it has been on the best seller list for months. Everyone seems to love it.

So, I gave the book to someone else who I’d say knows me pretty well, my father! Now I am really concerned. Hi response “I don’t think you should read this book”. Now, I have to admit that although I am an adult woman with grown children of my own, my father is still very protective. According to him, I am going to be very upset.  He does not want me to read about what goes on in the POW camps. My father, who was also on Kwajalein Island or Execution Island as it was referred to by American Soldiers during WW II was that affected by the book! In fact he said that “he hoped that the book was an exaggeration”. I guess it was too painful to imagine his comrades going through what Louie Zamperini went through.

So can you understand why I am not so anxious to read this month’s book? Give me a little encouragement, if you can!

1. Yes, this is a violent book, but i found it very compelling and certainly worth the read

Comment by nancy w — March 30, 2011 @ 10:01 am | Reply

2. Thanks Nancy! I am getting geared up to read the book!

Comment by susanbright — March 30, 2011 @ 8:06 pm | Reply

3. To me this book is about the ability of the human spirit to triumph over a great evil. The triumph came at a great cost to Louie but ultimately his spirit soared higher than I could have imagined.

Comment by Steven Zweig — March 31, 2011 @ 4:42 pm | Reply

• Hi Steven! Thank you for your comment. I am planning to start the book any day now! It sounds like it could be very inspirational!

Comment by susanbright — March 31, 2011 @ 5:23 pm | Reply

4. Our book group chose UNBROKEN for our next selection,too. I’m going to alternate reading it with a light-hearted selection.

Comment by Mary Ellen — March 31, 2011 @ 5:21 pm | Reply

• Hi Mary Ellen. That sounds like a good plan! We will talk more about Unbroken after we both read it. Good luck!

Comment by susanbright — March 31, 2011 @ 6:18 pm | Reply

5. I think it is worth reading. Not really well written, more like a grown child interviewing her Dad who was messed up in the war. There is just so much suffering an individual can read about and this book peaked about 4 times which is 3 times more than I can tolerate. All in all, worth reading and talking about but see my other post about “Snow Falling on Cedars”…a compelling and good contrasting book.

Anyhow, I was working out at the gym and befriended a nice old guy from Vietnam. He has a mansion in Danang and was talking to me about th fall of Saigon, and the US…he told me there were gorgeous beaches in Vietnam and invited me to stay at his place. I am trying to convince Dana, however it reminded me of a book I read… this incredible Nelson DeMille novel called “Up Country” about modern day Vietnam and the journey a soldier takes back to solve a 30 year murder mystery. Maybe for next year’s book club. I have to start early with my recommendations…to stay ahead of the competitive curve…haha!!!

Comment by Edward Steiner — April 3, 2011 @ 9:56 pm | Reply

6. Hi Eddie! I still have not started Unbroken. I am starting to feel the pressure! Your trip to the gorgeous beaches of Vietnam reminds me of another book we read….. Little Bee…. perhaps that is why Dana doesn’t want to go! I also read Up Country. Nelson DeMille is a wonderful writer. DeMille’s Charm School was also an incredible book.

Comment by susanbright — April 4, 2011 @ 5:15 am | Reply

7. My God Susan, Blogging from England, you are incredible! Hope you are loving it…and please say hello to…what’s his name?

Comment by Edward Steiner — April 4, 2011 @ 9:18 am | Reply

8. Susan, I have a suggestion for your dilemma about reading Unbroken. I read it by alternating reading and listening on CD. The truth is that when I listened to it I could, and did, selectively ignore large portions of the prison camp life. I know this is heresy to say, but after 20 or so pages of torture I kind of “got it”. The details are less important than the message and it is a very compelling story. Just skip ahead when it gets to be too much for you. (I will deny that I said that.) I totally agree with Eddie that it’s is not well written. For me, the writing is choppy and disjointed. I never read Seabiscuit so I don’t know if that is the author’s style in general or if she wrote this book in that style for a reason. Good luck!

Comment by Jean — April 5, 2011 @ 8:48 am | Reply

9. Hi Jean, I am almost finished Sarah Addison Allen’s new book the Peach Keeper, an easy, light read. I plan to start Unbroken next. I will be on the train for 2+ hours tomorrow, traveling from London to Paris, so I should get quite a bit of reading done, and although I will not be able to listen to the CD, I do plan to do some strategic skimming!I will let everyone know how I do!

Comment by Susanbright — April 5, 2011 @ 12:32 pm | Reply

10. Phew! I am 33% through the book (reading on my Kindle), and I have to say I am exhausted! Reading about the long tortuous days floating on the raft was taxing, and now I have to brace myself for what’s coming next – they’ve just arrived on Execution Island. I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot of skimming….and my next book will definitely be something light!

Comment by Esther — April 6, 2011 @ 11:32 pm | Reply