January 31, 2011

What Are You Reading?

Filed under: Book Recomendations — susanbright @ 3:58 pm

I always get great book recommendations from other bloggers.

What are you reading?

1. Just finished Ann Lamott’s Bird by Bird and in the middle of her newest novel, Imperfect Birds. Both are great reads.

Comment by Betty Jo Harris — January 31, 2011 @ 9:11 pm | Reply

• Thanks Betty Jo! I just looked up Lamott’s books. Very interesting! I have always wanted to try writing a book… I guess I should read Bird by Bird!

Comment by susanbright — January 31, 2011 @ 10:45 pm | Reply

2. I’m reading “The Red Garden” by Alice Hoffman. I have always loved Alice Hoffman’s books. This one is a chronological series of short stories that take place in a small town in the Berkshires. I get so caught up in the magical, supernatural aspects of the characters and places.

Comment by Esther — February 1, 2011 @ 10:21 am | Reply

3. I am reading our bookclub book – Glorious by Bernice McFadden. It was an Oprah favorite and on some of the bookclub lists. It will make for good conversation/discussion at the meeting.

Comment by Mona — February 1, 2011 @ 6:50 pm | Reply

4. Hi Mona,
    I recently read McFadden’s first novel Sugar, a thought provoking story about life/friendship, which takes place in the Deep South in the 1950’s. I would love to hear what your book club thinks about Glorious!

Comment by susanbright — February 1, 2011 @ 7:20 pm | Reply

• Glorious was not a popular book with the book club.
      It wasn’t so much the subject matter as to the style of writing or as some would say the lack of style. The author would start spurts of Easter’s life and then not seem to finish that phase of life before moving on to the next little spurt/incident. It felt like small paragraphs of big subjects.
      However, it did promote a lot of discussion as the authors writing was dissected and trying to figure out where the author was trying to lead you or what she was trying to say.
      I am curious if McFadden writes that way in all of her novels……

Sarah says “Hi”

Our March book is Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

Comment by Mona — February 9, 2011 @ 11:30 am | Reply

• Hi Mona, I always enjoy reading your comments and hearing what you are reading. I have been thinking about your comment about McFadden’s style of writing in the book Glorious, which I have not yet read. I did however read her first novel Sugar. Although the book was divided into short chapters, I thought that the story line flowed nicely. The book takes place in 1950 and is the story of Sugar, a black prostitute who moved to Bigelow, Arkansas to start a new life. After reading The Help, I enjoyed reading about life in the south from a totally different perspective. If you read it, let me know what you think! And of course, say hello to Sarah. Maybe you can get her on the blog!

Comment by susanbright — February 17, 2011 @ 3:59 pm | Reply

5. I have always been an animal lover ,from the carnival goldfish which miraculously lasted 2 years,then Manny the hamster who was left in the care of a neighbor during our summer vaction in the catskills. He had 4 babies 2 weeks later to the puzzlement of my older brother. It was when I was an adult I was told the neighbor found the unresponsive hamster and replaced him so I would not be upset,not knowing the new hamster was a pregnant female. Then at 7years old my parents weekly trip to the friut stand on Liberty & Old Court will always be special because the owner told me to look at the kittens in the back room. Of course the sweet furry calico came home with me and we named her “Peaches”.

A squirrel monkey, 2 Afghan Hound dogs and 5 cats later is when Susan handed me “Homer’s Odyssey” a book about a blind cat.

I thought it would be sad but to my delight it was a joy to read. This little blind black cat had so much personality, love and enthusiasm for life that he was inspirational to everyone who met him and me. Gwen, the single woman who adopted Homer to live with her other 2 cats had a life we can all relate to until she met the one who could complete her little family.It had the right mix to create an engaging story. Anyone who loves cats will certainly adore this book as much as I did! Thanks Susan.

Comment by Bonnie — February 3, 2011 @ 10:31 pm | Reply

• Bonnie, I am so glad that you enjoyed Homer’s Odyssey. I hope you don’t mind me putting it up as a post for everyone to read!

Comment by susanbright — February 4, 2011 @ 12:18 am | Reply

6. I recently finished reading Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult. It’s about a 7 year old Jewish girl who starts talking to God. I found it to be a fascinating story–well-written and fast paced. The reactions of the media and religious groups are very interesting and thought provoking.

Comment by moondance38 — February 7, 2011 @ 8:31 am | Reply

7. I am reading Clara and Mr Tiffany. So far it is enjoyable and is a mixture of New York history, the art of stain glass and a love story.

Comment by Karen — February 13, 2011 @ 10:07 am | Reply

• Welcome Karen! I will have to check out Clara and Mr Tiffany. Sounds interesting!

Comment by susanbright — February 13, 2011 @ 10:42 am | Reply