December 27, 2010

Regifting At It’s Best!

Filed under: Nothing to do with books! — susanbright @ 2:20 pm

The other day my friend and I had a heated debate (well, perhaps not heated, but definitely a debate) on regifting. The sticky point was whether wrapping and giving someone an item which you had received as  a free gift or bonus gift with a purchase is considered regifting. In my mind, there was no question. This was regifting at it’s best and although it can be a little tricky, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

An example was when I received a beautiful gift box of Christmas ornaments when I made a purchase  at a local  boutique. Because I do not have a tree to hang them on, I wrapped it and gave it to a friend, who loved the ornaments and immediately put them on her tree.  definitely a case of regifting, but she was happy and I was happy so where is the problem?

My friend, who received a stuffed animal with a purchase, which she wrapped and gave as a baby gift did not consider this regifting. According to her, she paid for the toy, it was just “included” in her purchase price. The word regifting had a very negative connotation to her. I say this was regifting!

This discussion/debate went on for way too long and we decided to agree to disagree! And just for the record, a few years ago I was the recipient of a regifted gift for Christmas and it was by far my favorite gift that year. It was an adorable desk accessory and is still sitting on my desk thanks to regifting! What are your thoughts on this controversial practice we call regifting?

1. Regifting is a touchy subject. If I receive a gift that I think is ugly, I will not regift it unless I know for sure that the intended recipient happens to just love that particular thing. (This scenario is highly unlikely.) If the gift is nice but I can’t use it, it would be considered for regifting to the right person. When I give a gift, it’s important that I feel good about the giving part so that figures heavily into my decision.

Comment by Laura — December 27, 2010 @ 6:51 pm | Reply

2. So what do you think? If you receive a bonus gift with a purchase and give it to someone as a gift, is it regifting?

Comment by Susanbright — December 27, 2010 @ 7:24 pm | Reply

3. Yes, I think that it is regifting, after all it was a “gift” from the store.

Comment by Allison — December 27, 2010 @ 11:09 pm | Reply

4. Discussed this during a mah jongg game last night and the consensus was divided. One lady felt it was okay to regift the bonus gift if you gave it as an extra with something else; in essence, creating your own “bonus” gift. This would be done to just move along the bonus gift since you had no use for it. Two ladies felt it was definitely regifting and shouldn’t be done because a lot of people are aware of what those extra gifts are (stuffed animals at Target, etc.) and will find it tacky.

Comment by Laura — December 28, 2010 @ 11:11 am | Reply

• Thanks laura. It sounds like everyone agreed that this was regifting, however the question was whether it was ok to do it or not.

Comment by susanbright — December 28, 2010 @ 12:24 pm | Reply

5. I’m with you on this one. It’s a shame to waste perfectly good gifts. Not everyone I love seems to know what I really really want (chuckle). My best friend and I have made a pact not to be hurt if something we buy each other doesn’t work out………regifting is allowed! We love each other but we can’t always read each other’s minds.

Comment by nancy — December 28, 2010 @ 5:33 pm | Reply