November 10, 2010

I am a Youtube Star! Check Out Ed’s Latest Creation!

Filed under: Couples meetings,Ed's Original Creations — susanbright @ 11:21 am

It is that time again!  In April we invite our husbands to read along with us. Although it is still month’s away, we like to give the men a head start  and chose the book far in advance.  We are looking for a book that both men and women will like, not too long, after all we can’t ask too much of the men and that will be a good discussion book.  Some of the books we have read in the past are The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Shadow of the Wind, The White Tiger and The Reluctant Fundamentalist. And please…. no vampire cheerleaders! Do you have any suggestions?

1. Ed,
    Very cute!!!

Comment by Audrey — November 10, 2010 @ 12:10 pm | Reply

2. I am currently reading The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. So far a great book with a great premise. Here is a review and summary:
    Talk about high concept: in Pearl’s debut novel, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes and James Russell Lowell team up with 19th-century publisher J.T. Fields to catch a serial killer in post-Civil War Boston. It’s the fall of 1865, and Harvard University, the cradle of Bostonian intellectual life, is overrun by sanctimonious scholars who turn up their noses at European literature, confining their study to Greek and Latin. Longfellow and his iconoclastic crew decide to produce the first major American translation of Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy. Their ambitious plans are put on hold when they realize that a murderer terrorizing Boston is recreating some of the most vivid scenes of chthonic torment in Dante’s Inferno. Since knowledge of the epic is limited to rarefied circles in 19th-century America, the “Dante Club” decides the best way to clear their own names is to match wits with the killer. The resulting chase takes them through the corridors of Harvard, the grimy docks of Boston Harbor and the subterranean labyrinths of the metropolis. It also gives Pearl an excellent opportunity to demonstrate that he’s done his history homework. The detective story is well plotted, and Pearl’s recreation of the contentious world of mid-19th-century academia is engrossing, even though some of its more ambitious elements like an examination of intellectual hypocrisy and insularity in the Ivy League are somewhat clunky. There are, as well, some awkward attempts to replicate 19th-century prose (“But for Holmes the triumph of the club was its union of interests of that group of friends whom he felt most fortunate to have”). Still, this is an ambitious and often entertaining thriller that may remind readers of Caleb Carr.
    Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc. –This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Comment by Edward Steiner — November 10, 2010 @ 12:56 pm | Reply

3. I fear that no conversation with Ed is safe, but that’s OK, it’s very funny! That book you’ve described sounds interesting. I would consider it for our spouses’ meeting.

Comment by Jean — November 10, 2010 @ 10:12 pm | Reply

4. Not sure if you’ve read these already but both my husband and I read Beside a Burning Sea by John Shors, A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell, March by Geraldine Brooks, The Geographer’s Library by Jon Fasman, The Firemaster’s Mistress by Christie Dickason, The Illuminator by Brenda Rickman Vantrease or The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee. He really likes history these were right up his alley. I went back to my old reading list and am surprised by how many books we’ve shared!

Comment by moondance38 — November 18, 2010 @ 7:32 pm | Reply

5. Harriet, Thanks for the recommendations. I have not read any of these books, although the Piano Teacher is sitting on my dresser waiting to be read.

Comment by susanbright — November 18, 2010 @ 9:56 pm | Reply

6. Thanks for the input Harriet! I loved John Shors’ Beneath a Marble Sky – and want to read Burning Sea. We’ll check out the others. As for sea – I hope that yours are calm!

Comment by Esther — November 18, 2010 @ 10:25 pm | Reply

7. One more…The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies

Comment by moondance38 — November 19, 2010 @ 9:23 pm | Reply

8. Hi Audry,
    This is Lynn from the Mane Tamer. I wanted to share my story. While looking for books at the Bel Air Library, a nice man introduced himself. He noticed that I was not wearing a wedding ring. When I told him that I was single, he asked me to join him for dinner one night. It was so unexpected, I did not know what to say. Noticing my surprise,he asked me to think about it, and gave me his name and phone number. After many days ,I called and met him for dinner. We enjoyed each others company ,that we have continued meeting. Who knew the library has more to offer than books? You can pick up a book,or you may be lucky to pick up a date too.

Comment by Lynn McClain — January 17, 2011 @ 4:39 pm | Reply

9. Very cute Lynn! Be sure to get back to us and let us know what happens. My library experience sounds pretty dull after hearing about yours!

Comment by susanbright — January 17, 2011 @ 5:12 pm | Reply