September 28, 2010

What Is Your Favorite Historical Fiction?

Filed under: Historical Fiction,Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 9:40 am

I love reading Historical Fiction! To be totally honest, history was not one of my best subjects. I could never keep all of the names straight and I hated those “put these events in chronological order” questions. Reading a good Historical Fiction book is such an enjoyable way to learn. I learned more about WWII from books than I ever learned in school. Sarah’s Key taught me about the Veld’hiv round ups in France. I was shocked to learn about the Lebensborn homes for unwed mothers from reading My Enemy’s Cradle.  Beneath A Marble Sky was a wonderful way to learn about the building of the Taj Mahal. This month I am looking forward to reading My Name is Mary Sutter, a book that takes place during the Civil War.  Tell us about some of your favorite Historical Fiction books!

1. One of my favorite books, that I did not think I would enjoy, was Year of Wonders. This book was fasinating, even though the story takes place during the Plague.
    Also a great read, was The Other Boleyn Girl. Every detail was amazing.
    I know I wasn’t paying much attention in History either, but maybe if I had these authors as teachers, I would have learned a great deal more.

Comment by Ilene Gold — September 28, 2010 @ 2:27 pm | Reply

2. Ilene, I also loved The Other Boleyn Girl.I never read Years of Wonder, but will put it on my to read list! Sounds like we went to the same school!

Comment by susanbright — September 28, 2010 @ 2:31 pm | Reply

3. I also enjoyed the books you mentioned, but my favorite book of all is Memoirs of a Geisha. I was amazed that it was written by a man. Some other great books- Pillars of the Earth, Snowflower and the Secret Fan.
    Ilene, thanks for recommending Year of Wonders. I will try to read it soon and let you know what I think!!!

Comment by Audrey — September 29, 2010 @ 12:24 am | Reply

4. Hi. I am Audreys friend. Historical fiction is educating and entertaining. I will list a few that I love that have not been mentioned.
    A Pigeon and a Boy by Meir Shalev
    Trudys Promise by Marcia Preston
    The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
    The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee
    The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grisson
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
    I also LOVED these books that are not historical fiction.
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese ( one of my favorite books! )
    A soft place to land by Susan Rebecca White
    The Red Thread by Ann Hood
    Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
    Tell me something true by Leila Cobo
    The Murderers Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers
    There is nothing like reading a great book.

Comment by Lynn McClain — October 7, 2010 @ 10:29 pm | Reply

• Wow, thank you Lynn. There are so many books on your list that I have not read. I also loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Our next books are The Red Thread and Cutting for Stone, so I am glad to hear how much you liked them. Are you in a book club?

Comment by susanbright — October 8, 2010 @ 8:23 am | Reply

5. Some of my favorites have been mentioned above, like Sarah’s Key, The Other Boleyn Girl, Memoirs of a Geisha, Pillars of the Earth and Beneath the Marble Sky.
    Here are a few more that I really enjoyed and learned from.
    One Thousand White Women.
    The Girl with the Pearl Earring.
    Moloka’i
    Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
    The 19th Wife
    The Heretic’s Daughter.
    As a Driven Leaf

Comment by janinefrier — October 9, 2010 @ 2:51 pm | Reply

6. Janine, Pillars of the Earth was one of my all time favorites! I have not heard of As a Driven Leaf, but will definitely check it out.

Comment by susanbright — October 11, 2010 @ 5:24 pm | Reply