August 26, 2010

Books on Tape

Filed under: Literary Tidbits — Esther @ 5:54 am

I have always been a voracious reader.  I always carry the current book I am reading, or my Kindle, along with me during the day.  You never know when you might get stuck waiting for an appointment, or have a few minutes of downtime where you can squeeze in a few pages.  I have always been happy with reading books, and had never tried to listen to a book on tape, although I saw that they were becoming increasingly popular.  Several months ago, faced with another solo drive to Sandy Hook, New Jersey to visit my pregnant (!!!) daughter, I decided to try a book on tape.  Anything to make that New Jersey Turnpike a little less boring.  Browsing the audio books section of my library, my gaze lit upon Sarah Addison Allen’s newest book, “The Girl Who Chased the Moon”.  I had loved Allen’s prior two books, “Garden Spells” and “The Sugar Queen”.  On the morning of my “journey”, I loaded the CD’s into the car, and I was off.  By the time the three hour trip had passed, I was totally engrossed in the book, and would happily have driven another hour or two.  I was officially hooked on Books on Tape!

Since then, I have listened to several current best sellers and have enjoyed this method of reading so much that I don’t even wait for a trip to New Jersey (although they are becoming more and more frequent), but keep one in my CD player at all times to listen to throughout the day.  Currently I am listening to “Fragile” by Lisa Unger – and this is a really engrossing mystery – can’t wait to get back in the car later today!

If you have never tried an audio book, I suggest giving one a try when faced with your next long car ride.  For me, it makes the trip almost as fun as the destination!

1. Hi Esther
    I have listened to a few books on tape because of time constaints.I really enjoyed Devil in the White City on tape.Cathy Junkin

Comment by Cathy Junkin — August 26, 2010 @ 7:59 am | Reply

2. Hi Esther –
    I have listened to books on tape while painting walls in my house and boy it makes the job a lot easier and usually listen to “light” reads like the Shopoholic books and Sherlock Holmes.
    Also, when we are in Florida driving we listen to more “history” type books. I have really enjoyed learning about the history of different areas and probably never would have read the books as the reading would have been way to dry for me…..but listening is perfect. The last book we listened to was – Havana Nocturne – about the Cuba/Mafia days….very interesting. Moby Dick was a great car “read” too.

Comment by Mona — August 26, 2010 @ 8:37 am | Reply

3. My family especially enjoyed listening to Sue Grafton’s mysteries on tape(A is for Alibi, B is for Burglary etc) during our long dives to The Outer Banks. Nothing like a good murder mystery to pass the time.

Comment by susanbright — August 26, 2010 @ 9:43 am | Reply

4. Before the days of built in DVD players or even portable DVD players, we used to play children’s books on tape, when we traveled with our kids. Tom Sawyer and the Secret Garden were among our favorites. We all enjoyed listening and the hours in the car went by pretty quickly.

Comment by alumparentblogger — August 27, 2010 @ 8:29 am | Reply

5. We always listen to books on our long drives down to Georgia to visit my husband’s family. The challenge it to pick something that we can both enjoy. His criteria exclude any romances and I won’t listen to anything that has a tank, airplane, submarine or tank on the cover! On our trip a few weeks ago we listened to an NPR Driveway Moments series about animals, The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan (my bookclub selection for August) and Look Again by Lisa Scottoline (per Esther’s suggestion!)

Comment by Harriet — August 30, 2010 @ 7:50 am | Reply

• Hi Harriet! What did you think of The Day The Fall’s Stood Still?

Comment by susanbright — August 30, 2010 @ 5:19 pm | Reply