June 20, 2010

We Need Your Help!

Filed under: What is next?? — susanbright @ 4:13 pm

We are searching for the perfect summer read! Do you have a 5 star book to recommend? Maybe something light and fun? A really good mystery? A steamy romance? This month we are reading Moloka’i, but have no idea what to read next! Any suggestions?

1. Hi Susan
    I looked through my book lists and here are some easier summer reads ;
    Beach Music Pat Conroy
    So Big Edna Ferber
    The Rock Orchard Paula Wall
    The Book of Bright Ideas Sandra Kring
    The Bone Garden Tess Gerritsen
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
    Cathy Junkin

Comment by Cathy Junkin — June 20, 2010 @ 7:15 pm | Reply

2. “This is Where I Leave You” by Jonathan Tropper is a great read! I also really enjoyed “Devotion” by Dani Shapiro.

Comment by Jessica Grosman — June 20, 2010 @ 8:16 pm | Reply

3. Thank you Cathy and Jessica for coming to the rescue. All of your book suggestions sound like good possibilities. I will add them all to our “to read” list!

Comment by susanbright — June 21, 2010 @ 10:42 am | Reply

4. Hi MD book lovers,

My AZ book club just finished an awesome mystery that I would never have chosen to read if someone did not pick it for their month’s choice. The 13th Tale – totally a different kind of book but it received all 8 -10’s out of a 10 from all of our 20 members. I was so glad that I read it because it was such a different type of book we usually pick. Audrey asked me about Mudbound which we read about a year ago and all really loved and had a lengthy discussion. Did you all ever read one of my favorite books The Space Between Us? If not DEFINITELY pick that and if I am in MD I may try to come for your meeting!! Another new one I keep hearing about so just bought at Borders has funny title – My name is Nyood and I am 10 years old divorced. I am not home so I think I got the name wrong but does look good!! It is an autobiography and will keep ya posted.

Nancy Singer (in AZ)

Comment by Nancy Singer — June 22, 2010 @ 2:57 pm | Reply

5. I was going to say Ahab’s Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund is a great summer read…then I noticed I recommended it before…so…it must be good ;0)

Comment by Mona — June 22, 2010 @ 4:47 pm | Reply

6. My new novel, Lebensborn, is historical fiction. It’s been called “meticulously researched” and “tightly plotted.” Steve Rumsey picked it for his August Good Read. Said “This dark chapter in the history of the Nazi plan to create a Master Race, tells the story of a young French woman forced into the program against her will.

Antoinette is a member of the resistance in occupied France (1941) who becomes entangled in the world of the Nazis when her home is taken over by SS officers. It puts her in contact with the SS office who changes her life forever and launches a plot that is fast-paced and suspensful. Suffice it to say that things go downhill quickly for the unfortunate, but brave, heroine and her family and friends. It’s a real page-turner.”

The program of Himmler’s is often in International news as the innocent victims of Lebensborn are out searching for their “true” parent or are in a courtroom of their country seeking compensation and apologies for their lives that found them shunned, taunted and often physically abused.

Find it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. The author asks that you add a comment, good or otherwise.

Comment by Jo Ann Bender — August 4, 2010 @ 3:37 pm | Reply

• Jo Ann, thank you for telling us about your book. We recently read My Enemy’s Cradle and for most of us it was the first time we had heard of the Lebensborn. Your novel sounds fascinating!

Comment by susanbright — August 5, 2010 @ 9:34 am | Reply