May 2, 2010

A Different Kind Of Book: Many Lives, Many Masters

Filed under: Book Recomendations,Literary Tidbits — susanbright @ 4:55 pm

The other day my friend Cathy dropped off a gift for me. It was a book. She knew that I had recently lost a dear friend and thought that the book might bring me comfort as it had done for her several years ago. Cathy warned me to read it with an open mind. The book  was titled Many Lives, Many Masters and was written by Brian Weiss, M.D. One look at this book told me that this was not the type of book I was used to reading. I love to read! Historical Fiction, Mysteries, Love Stories and of course the occassional memoir, but this was something new for me. According to the cover it was The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past-Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives. Wow! I have always considered myself somewhat of a skeptic when it came to the whole “life after death issue”, however I was determined to do as Cathy asked, and keep an open mind. After all who doesn’t want to believe in the after life.

I began to read, and once I did, I could not get this book out of my head! Dr. Weiss’ patient was Catherine, a young women suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and numerous phobias. When conventional therapy did not help, Dr. Weiss decided to try hypnosis and  regress Catherine,  asking her to” Go back to the time from which your symptoms arise.”. Suddenly, Catherine was Aronda, an 18 year old girl and it was 1863 B.C. This was only the beginning!  Next, Catherine was Louisa, a 56 year old Spanish women living in 1756 A.D. During her “past life” experiences, Dr. Weiss would ask her if she recognized anyone from her present life, and SHE DID!  Apparently “groups of souls tend to reincarnate together again and again…..” So now, I am totally baffled. Can this really be true? How can it not be true?  The author is a doctor. He  graduated from Columbia University and Yale Medical School! He  is the chairman Emeritus Of Psychiatrist at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami and is currently practicing psychiatry in Miami! There is so much more to this book and I have so many questions. Talk to me!

1. Susan, I read this book about 7 or 8 years ago and it is fascinating and compelling. I have had some unusual things happen to me…like suddenly understanding pieces of a foreign language or knowing exactly where I am and where I need to go in a European town I never visited. Some of these Deja Vu feelings are explained medically as a type of olfactory seizure. The author of Many Masters has been criticized for a lot of his work, but I am a spiritual fellow and think the mere concepts are awesome. Why not! I am a believer that the “middle realm” may exist out (or up) there. The book led me down a path of Kaballistic reading as well as other books that link physics, spiritualism, and past life experience. I will try to find at lease my favorite and give it to you. This is a great book club topic, Eddie

Comment by Edward Steiner — May 3, 2010 @ 9:20 am | Reply

2. Thanks Eddie,I am definitely hooked, and need to read more on this subject.I have heard so many strange stories without any logical explanation. There must be “something else” out there!

Comment by susanbright — May 3, 2010 @ 9:35 am | Reply

3. I am very interested in this topic , Cathy metioned this book to me and now I must read it. Having lost loved ones I believe that this could very well be true!

Comment by Bonne — May 3, 2010 @ 1:34 pm | Reply

4. HI Susan,
    Of course I read this book. over 10 years age,and for personal reasons do choose to believe every bit of it. I know deep in my being that this exists because it explains so many unexplainable life events. For me personally, it gives me strength. I know also about all the negative controversy surrounding Dr. Weiss’s book. Whether or not his “facts” are true or not I don’t know but I feel that there is more evidence for then against this way of believing.

Comment by Claudia Chappel — May 5, 2010 @ 10:30 am | Reply

• Claudia,I would like to read more on this subject. Do you have any recommendations?

Comment by susanbright — May 5, 2010 @ 11:23 pm | Reply

5. Susan,
    Hi! I believe in the afterlife, for many reasons, that have been shown to me. I loved the book Many Lives, Many Masters. I read it 20 years ago and then I recently read it again (20th Anniversary edition)because my 29 year old daughter, passed away almost 3 years ago, August 5, 2007. My daughter was very spiritual, and a very old soul. When she was in her early 20’s, she told me that she wasn’t coming back here anymore, that this was her last time here. I didn’t question her, I just believed what she told me. Anyway, a little over a year ago, James Van Praagh, a very reputable medium (whose books are also amazing and should be read) told me things about my daughter, that he never could have known. I was in a room with over 200 people and he did not know me. Also, he told me things that are going on in my life, currently that my daughter told him that she was aware of, which really blew my mind. There has to be something to the afterlife. He was definitely communicating with my daughter because I didn’t say one word to him and he told me everything, I just listened and he was 100% accurate.

Comment by joyce oestreich — May 6, 2010 @ 12:33 pm | Reply

• Joyce, Thank you for sharing your amazing story. I will have to get my hands on one of James Van Praagh’s books!

Comment by susanbright — May 6, 2010 @ 5:54 pm | Reply

6. I read this book as part of our continuing education for social workers at a home for the Jewish Aged. It was certainly in sync with the Jewish perspective that our body is only a vessel that we borrow and that our souls live on. Don’t we all meet someone that we feel so comfortable with – like we’ve known them our whole lives- when we have only recently met?
    debs