September 3, 2009

The last book I read was…….

Filed under: The Last Book I Read Was..... — Esther @ 7:45 pm

Let’s  see what everyone’s been reading!

The last book that I read is Perfection by Julie Metz.  It is the story of a woman who, upon her husband’s sudden death, discovers that he had been having multiple affairs.  This is her memoir of how she coped with the devastating news.  A very gripping read. http://rhapsodyinbooks.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/review-of-%E2%80%9Cperfection%E2%80%9D-by-julie-metz/

So now it’s your turn……..What was the last book you read?

1. I just finished The Virgin’s Lover by Phillipa Gregory. Many of you may have already read it as it has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while. It is a romantic historical fiction like many of Gregory’s books. Although I can’t say that it was as good as The Other Boleyn Girl (which I absolutely loved),I really enjoyed it. I love a good Historical Fiction! Has anyone read any good Historical Fictions lately?

Comment by susanbright — September 4, 2009 @ 6:10 pm | Reply

2. Wasn’t it great. Makes you think…

Comment by Janis Peiser — September 4, 2009 @ 6:57 pm | Reply

• Thanks for visiting our blog and for your comment!

Comment by susanbright — September 4, 2009 @ 8:19 pm | Reply

3. I just enjoyed reading The Believers’ by Zoe Heller (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102516473) and Home to Big Stone Gap (http://www.adrianatrigiani.com/hometo.html). I would highly recommend both books. The Believers’ isn’t a feel-good novel, but offers hope of redemption. It was captivating and despite the characters many flaws, I empathized with them and was sad when the book was over. The Stone Gap series, about the town Stone Gap, Virginia, is written by a Virginian author (who now lives in New York), and was a very quick, enjoyable read. I’m looking forward to reading Homer and Langley!

Comment by Lauren — September 8, 2009 @ 10:43 am | Reply

• Lauren, thanks for your recommendations!

Comment by susanbright — September 8, 2009 @ 1:53 pm | Reply

4. Lauren,
    Thanks for letting us know about those books! I’ve read the Big Stone Gap series by Adriana Trigiani, but haven’t yet read Return to Big Stone Gap. I’m looking forward to it! I did read another book by that author, Very Valentine, which I loved.

Comment by nuwest222 — September 8, 2009 @ 2:41 pm | Reply

5. […] The last book I read is………… Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Live from Sony’s GamesCom press conference Leave a Comment […]

Pingback by Don’t forget our new feature! « Friday Morning Bookclub — September 8, 2009 @ 5:12 pm | Reply

6. Hi Mrs. Breitenother!

The last novel I read was Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, which was excellent; however, I have been reading some short story collections recently, which have been really cool. Black Water: The Book of Fantastic Literature and John Cheever’s collection of short stories are both thoroughly enjoyable.

I am in the middle of One Hundred Years of Solitude right now, and I don’t think it is very good, but it has gotten great reviews. Have you read it? What did you think?

Comment by Matt D — September 10, 2009 @ 12:30 pm | Reply

• Thanks for commenting on our blog. Our book club has never read any short stories, but we probably should one month. I have not read One Hundred Years….. but I’m sure some of our other members have. Lets see what they have to say!

Comment by susanbright — September 10, 2009 @ 12:45 pm | Reply

7. “Illegals immigrant are devastating the economy, ruining our schools, overcrowding our prisons, and turning health-care reform on its head,” many people say. But what about the other point of view? What’s life really like in this country for an illegal alien? This multi-faceted issue is the topic of T. C. Boyle’s novel, _Tortilla Curtain_. Shifting the narrative between Cándido, an illegal Mexican immigrant trying to find work to support his pregnant wife, and Delaney, an affluent writer living in Southern California, T. C. Boyle expertly weaves their stories together in a tale that challenges the conventional viewpoint of each side of the argument. This book is ripe for debate and discussion.

Comment by Ruth Simon — September 17, 2009 @ 9:02 pm | Reply

• This could be a good book for our couples meeting in April!

Comment by susanbright — September 21, 2009 @ 6:34 pm | Reply

8. I am reading Her Fearful Symmetry, which is the newest book by Audrey Niffenegger who write Time Traveler’s Wife. Her Fearful Symmetry is a story about twins who inherit their aunt’s London flat. The novel is filled with quirky characters. The story is engaging and the writing style is wonderful. Niffenegger really engages the reader and I am looking forward to seeing where the story leads.

Comment by Lois Rothberg — October 6, 2009 @ 8:36 pm | Reply

9. Just finished reading Cathleen Schine’s “The Three Weissmanns of Westport.” This beautifully written novel is loosely based on Jane Austen’s “Sense and Sensibility,” which I re-read beforehand. “Sense and Sensibility” used to be my favorite Austen, but I actually liked “The Three Weissmanns” better! Here’s a link to the NY Times review: http://nyti.ms/xzzRKM. I highly recommend Schine’s book for book-club reading or just plain pleasure reading.
    Also, a friend with whom I worked at the Baltimore Sun has just produced a first novel called “Funnel Vision.” Publication date is Tuesday (1/24); it’ll be available on Kindle for just $2.99. Here’s that link: http://chriskridler.com/books/
    Happy reading!

Comment by J. Wynn Rousuck — January 23, 2012 @ 1:06 am | Reply

10. I have heard so much about The Three Weissmanns of Westport and I love Jane Austen, so I guess it is time to read it. Thank you for telling us about your friend’s book Funnel Vision.I will download it on my Kindle as soon as it is available. Sounds fascinating! Best of luck to Chris Kridler!

Comment by Susanbright — January 23, 2012 @ 10:07 am | Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )