January 19, 2014

We Need Your Help! And BTW…What Is The Opposite Of Chic Lit?….Male Tale?

Filed under: Couples meetings — susanbright @ 9:23 am
Tags:

man and woman readingEvery April we invite our spouses or significant others to a pot luck dinner meeting…and yes…the men actually read the book!  We lure them in with the promise of good food and good company and on that end we have always been successful. The most important component and the most difficult is choosing the right book, a book that both the men and the women will enjoy. Unfortunately we often over compensate, trying so hard to stay away from anything that may be considered chick lit that we select a book that could be considered the very opposite of a chic lit…a MALE TALE!

We need some suggestions and we need them soon. Our men like to have plenty of time to read their book and prefer it to be of reasonable length. A few of the books we have read at past couples meetings are: Unbroken, In the Garden of the Beast and The Triple Agent. Have you read a book recently that you think both men and women would enjoy reading and discussing? A book that would not fall under the category of chic lit, or male tale?

And by the way…does anyone have a better term for the opposite of chic lit?

About these ads

1. Have you read “Defending Jacob” by William Landay? My husband read it after I finished and we were equally wowed.

Comment by Candice — January 19, 2014 @ 10:00 am | Reply

• Thank you Candice! We did read Defending Jacob and I agree. That would have been a perfect book club book. That is just what we need…another Defending Jacob!

Comment by susanbright — January 19, 2014 @ 10:07 am | Reply

2. Er…dick lit?

Comment by Gabi Coatsworth — January 19, 2014 @ 10:14 am | Reply

• How about a book about WW1 like one of the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker? Or more modern books like Billy Lynn’s Halftime Walk or The Yellow Birds, about Iraq vets.

Comment by Gabi Coatsworth — January 19, 2014 @ 10:17 am | Reply

• Gabi, I have not read any of these books.Thanks for the recommendations. I will add them to our list and then we can vote!

Comment by susanbright — January 19, 2014 @ 11:22 am | Reply

• Hi Gabi…Now thats a good one!

Comment by susanbright — January 19, 2014 @ 11:21 am | Reply

3. How about “The Girls of the Atomic City”! A great read about the history, war, realtionships, and mystery surrounding the atomic bomb.

Comment by Barbara — January 19, 2014 @ 10:40 am | Reply

• Thanks Barbara! I am not familiar with The Girls of the Atomic City. I will check it out!

Comment by susanbright — January 19, 2014 @ 11:20 am | Reply

4. I just finished a fabulous book that I had been meaning to read for years. The Cider House Rules by John Irving is a classic that I highly recommend.

Comment by Linda Nachimson — January 19, 2014 @ 11:47 am | Reply

• Welcome Linda. Although I saw the movie, I never read this book. Thank you for your suggestion!

Comment by Susanbright — January 19, 2014 @ 9:29 pm | Reply

5. City of Thieves by David Benioff. So good!

Comment by Maura McCoy — January 19, 2014 @ 8:54 pm | Reply

• Thank you Maura! Another good suggestion. I have been meaning to read City of Thieves!

Comment by Susanbright — January 19, 2014 @ 9:34 pm | Reply

6. This is the best I can do:

Man-U-Script
    Man-You-Script
    Male Read (as in “red”)

anything Sidney Sheldon, I like biographies or autobiographies, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Cannery Row, Cormac McCarthy (early stuff-the Cherokee story is great),war history stories… that’s all I got!

Comment by AirportsMadeSimple — January 20, 2014 @ 4:58 am | Reply

• Man-U-Script….very clever! Thanks for all of the book recommendations!

Comment by Susanbright — January 20, 2014 @ 9:00 am | Reply

7. I would recommend TREACHEROUS BEAUTY (the story of the conniving Peggy Shippen and ambitious Benedict Arnold) by Mark Jacob and Stephen Case. It is a fast moving biography with widespread appeal. Another selection might be THE WORST HARD TIME (about the dust bowl) by Timothy Egan.

Comment by Mary Ellen — January 20, 2014 @ 1:47 pm | Reply

• Thank you Mary Ellen. i will check both of these out! Treacherous Beauty sounds very intriguing!

Comment by Susanbright — January 21, 2014 @ 1:18 pm | Reply

8. Hi Ladies,

I’m afraid that I couldn’t think of a single book that hubbie and I would ever have in common, let alone one which I could get him to read at a certain time!

I am the fiction aficionado and very seldom will you see me with a non fiction book in hand, whilst he is the exact opposite and believes that if you are going to read, you might as well educate yourself whilst doing so!

Not really much help to you I know, but I hope that you have better luck getting your other halves to join in with the fun, than I would!

Yvonne.

Comment by Fiction-Books (@Fiction_Books) — January 23, 2014 @ 1:08 am | Reply

• Well said Yvonne! There lies the problem. Many of the women prefer fiction. Many of the men non fiction! Historical fiction sometimes fits the bill. Thank you!

Comment by Susanbright — January 23, 2014 @ 11:22 am | Reply

9. How about nonfiction, like The Boys in the Boat?

Comment by BermudaOnion — January 23, 2014 @ 7:24 am | Reply

• Just checked out The Boys in the Boat. Looks like an interesting read! Thanks

Comment by Susanbright — January 23, 2014 @ 11:22 am | Reply

10. Rawhide Down by Del Quentin Wilber!!! A terrific read about the near assassination of Ronald Reagan. Great insight into the medical, political and personal events surrounding the terrible event! A 5 star book for book ladies and gents!! Also a quick read.

Comment by Barbara — January 23, 2014 @ 9:01 am | Reply

• Hi Barbara. Another interesting read. Thank you!

Comment by Susanbright — January 23, 2014 @ 11:23 am | Reply

11. interesting read, love your page

Comment by marinela — January 23, 2014 @ 12:14 pm | Reply

• Thank you Marinela!

Comment by Susanbright — January 24, 2014 @ 9:49 am | Reply

12. A few classics that I think would satisfy everyone (meaning I’ve already had my hubby read these :)) A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card and a less spacey choice, A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (an oldie but goodies and you can follow it with the movie, both are excellent).

Comment by stacybuckeye — January 27, 2014 @ 10:38 pm | Reply

Theme: Rubric. Get a free blog at WordPress.com

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 427 other followers